Saturday, October 20, 2018

Jerry Rigging vs. Gerrymandering

Percy Stellrecht, my father, was a true champion of jerry rigging. I thought of him today as I jerry rigged a hollow metal post (that had broken at a joint) with a piece of rebar that I pushed down both ends. I topped it with the 14 inch double spinner that was on the post before it broke; it's once again displayed near the road at our shop. Here is a picture of a chair Percy jerry rigged when I was a kid---the top portion of one chair, the bottom of another, some scraps of wood and wire and you got a perfectly usable piece of furniture. Sister Kathy had come into possession of it years ago and later passed it on to me. Husband John built a shed at our shop (one of more than a dozen outbuildings) with lumber from the barn where I milked cows as a kid. The sign appropriately reads: "Percy's Shed" and that's where we display the chair. Now to gerrymandering. Every day at the shop I pass out flyers: Vote for Prop 2. We're trying to end gerrymandering in Michigan---the definition of which is: manipulating the boundaries of an electoral map so as to favor one party. Both parties are guilty of doing this when they are in control; this would give the task of designating sane boundaries to a bipartisan/independent commission.