Saturday, October 27, 2012

No Regrets

John is finishing up Glass Castle for our nightly reading, a book recommended by sister Kathy. Can't believe I hadn't heard of it since it was 261 weeks on the NYT bestseller list. It's basically a survival memoir of a very poor child. But it's so much more than that---a book that puts a face on poverty better than anything I've ever read or seen. I've read some interviews with her and there was one quote that I found very meaningful, one that I could affirm regarding so many aspects of my own life, most recently the horrible ordeal I endured with Calvin Seminary.

I don’t regret that I went through this experience because I ended up at a place that I’m happy with, so however I got there is fine by me. However, you could not pay me enough money to go through all that again.