Thursday, June 14, 2007

Debacle at Synod

Maybe I'm the only one to describe Third Wave coming to the floor of Synod yesterday afternoon as a debacle, but that it was. Without any debate the topic was passed on for further study--with another report to come to Synod 2009.

Sure, after prodding, those running the show acknowledged Mariano and me for our work, but we both left very disappointed and puzzled by how such a thing could have transpired. See Third Wave Spirituality for more details.

This morning I woke, still bummed out, and then I checked my email. There was one from a long lost student ("lost" to me) from the late 1990s at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. She reminded me of who she was with this description: "I was the Filipina-American gal who always clapped every now and then at something insightful that came out of your lips." How could I forget!

She goes on to say: "You have no idea how your class, your presence, and the books you wrote . . . literally 'transformed' my character. . . . Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for the 'spirit' and 'warmth' that pervaded in your classroom at the time. . . . That whole classroom experience for me with you at the forefront, literally was a turning point for me."

All I can say is, Thank you Lord. After yesterday, I needed that.