Wednesday, September 13, 2006

SID THE STONEWALLER

Board President, Sid Jansma, Jr., has been the point-man for the CTS administration, responding to the Grand Rapids PRESS and appearing on TV News. His main point as a pointman is that this case is not one of sex discrimination. Of course, that surprises no one.

REPORTER: Mr. Jansma, was Tucker singled out and demoted (given a terminal appointment, removed from tenure track) because she's a woman? Is this a case of sex discrimination?

SID the STONEWALLER: Absolutely not. There is no evidence anywhere of gender bias. Such charges are totally unfounded. . . . . . .

REPORTER: Why, then, was she singled out and demoted?

S the S: I can't talk about that. It's confidential.

REPORTER: Was/Is she academically unqualified?

S the S: I'm sorry. I can't talk. This is confidential.

REPORTER: But you say it wasn't sex discrimination. You didn't pull your CONFIDENTIALITY CARD on that.

REPORTER: Was/Is she an incompetent teacher?

S the S: I can't speak on that. It's confidential.

REPORTER: Was/Is she guilty of "ungodly" conduct?

S the S: I just can't respond--confidentiality, you know.

REPORTER: But why, then, doesn't the matter of sex discrimination fall under the category of CONFIDENTIAL?

S the S: Sorry, that's confidential.

RUTH TUCKER: Sid, my dear Sid, I'm talking to you now. Are you listening? Stonewalling just isn't becoming of you. Yes, it fits the administrators' MO, but not yours. (Note to readers: Mr. Jansma is a very decent man. He was not president of the CTS board when I was given a terminal appointment in 2003. I do not blame him for what has happened to me.)

CALVIN SEMINARY: First Quiz of the Fall Quarter (and multiple choice, at that). But, only 1 question.

The reason for Ruth Tucker's removal from tenure track : a) sex discrimination; b) academically unqualified; c) incompetent teaching; d) ungodly conduct; e) can't play Dutch Bingo; f) none of the above.

A NOTE TO STUDENTS: This is an important quiz. Your assignment is to track down the correct answer.

6 comments:

  1. The only thing I can say after reading these entries is I am shocked and dismayed but unfortunatley NOT surprised.

    I look forward to hearing where your journey leads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're having fun with this, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth,
    It's been a while since you have heard from me. I'm John Frye--previously the pastor of Bella Vista Church in Rockford, MI. Also, we're good friends with Phil and Lori Cole. Lori is your "bud."

    I am so sorry for your extremely sad and tumultuous experience at CTS. I read your post at the other website. Also, Scot McKnight posted on your situation at jesuscreed.org.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth, I'm your new neighbor on Abrigador :-). I read the Grand Rapids press article and your seminary story with great interest and sadness for what you have gone through.

    As an IT professional I have encountered gender discrimination, but on so subtle a scale as to pale in comparison with your experience. Though I can understand your feelings of exclusion and isolation.

    Reading your Sid the Stonewaller blog, if CTS' charges were valid, there would be absolutely no reason for their silence. The only reason not to be open and honest is because they know that what they have done will not stand up to public scrutiny. That it would not be found to be fair and just.

    I applaud your efforts to bring your story out into the open, and admire your refreshing honesty. Anyone who stands in such light is truly courageous!

    In closing, I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your days with your husband and family, after what CTS has put you through.

    I look forward to seeing you on the Trail,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth, I'm your new neighbor on Abrigador :-). I read the Grand Rapids press article and your seminary story with great interest and sadness for what you have gone through.

    As an IT professional I have encountered gender discrimination, but on so subtle a scale as to pale in comparison with your experience. Though I can understand your feelings of exclusion and isolation.

    Reading your Sid the Stonewaller blog, if CTS' charges were valid, there would be absolutely no reason for their silence. The only reason not to be open and honest is because they know that what they have done will not stand up to public scrutiny. That it would not be found to be fair and just.

    I applaud your efforts to bring your story out into the open, and admire your refreshing honesty. Anyone who stands in such light is truly courageous!

    In closing, I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your days with your husband and family, after what CTS has put you through.

    I look forward to seeing you on the Trail,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you receive the e-mail forward from Neil Plantinga that was sent out today on the Seminary e-mail service? I would be interested in your comments.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete